Monday, July 7, 2014

Sleeping porches

My best memories of visiting Illinois when I was child was my grandmother's sleeping porch.  My older brother and I loved to sleep out there.  My grandmother didn't have air conditioning so that was the best place to sleep.  It was located on the second floor between to bedrooms at the back of the house. Of course her's didn't look like any of these that I found on Pinterest.  All that would fit on it was a double bed.






I loved my grandmother's house.  She had the old cellar door outside to go into the basement but you could also go down from inside the house too.  She had a large walk in pantry in the kitchen with a hoosier in it.  I  remember going in there, sit on the stool  and look at all her pretty dishes and knick knacks.  My favorites were her Mr and Mrs Santa creamer and sugar dish.

My grandmother died when I was 10 so only got to enjoy the visits for a short time.  One of my mother's sisters lived in the same town so we would still visit every year. 

When we get to build our dream home I am going to insist on a sleeping porch (or at least a screened in porch).

1 comment :

  1. I would love a sleeping porch. I would love a grandma too. I hope that all the time I spend with my grandkids will help them remember me . Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete